Here are the answers to Unlocking Warwick’s ‘Not In The Ballroom Quiz’ for December, compiled by Helen Fellows, and the winners are revealed.
The theme this month was Winter and Christmas. Twenty questions – some of them were quite tricky:
1. What is the shortest day around December 21st known as? Winter Solstice
2. In which European city can we visit ‘The Winter Palace’? St. Petersburg
3. Sapporo Snow Festival takes place in which country during winter? Japan
4. What was the name given to the public festivals held on the frozen River Thames throughout the 17th and 18th centuries? Frost Fairs
5. The Winter War took place between 1939 and 1940 between Russia and which country? Finland
6. In the history of the Winter Olympics, which country has won the most medals? Norway
7. “Now is the winter of our discontent” is the opening line from which William Shakespeare play? Richard III
8. Which fictional land of mythical creatures and talking animals was ruled by the White Witch for a century of deep winter? Narnia
9. Written in the last months of her life and published subsequently by her husband Ted Hughes, whose posthumous collection of poetry was entitled “Winter Trees”? Sylvia Plath
10. Which popular fantasy TV series is the phrase “Winter is Coming!” most associated with? Game of Thrones
11. What is your star sign if you are born on Christmas Day? Capricorn
12. At what time is the Queen’s speech normally broadcast on Christmas Day? 3pm
13. December 26th marks which Saint’s Day? St. Stephen
14. Which iconic Scottish poet wrote ‘Auld Lang Syne’? Robbie Burns
15. What country is the Poinsettia, with its red and green foliage, native to? Mexico
16. What is the name of Will Ferrell’s character in Elf? Buddy
17. Which famous Christmas song includes the lyrics: Dashing through the snow, in a one-horse open sleigh? Jingle Bells
18. The biggest selling song of 1988 in the UK was a Christmas hit by Cliff Richard, can you name it? Mistletoe and Wine
19. What’s the fun name for sausages wrapped in bacon often eaten with the Christmas dinner? Pigs in Blankets (Kilted soldiers in Scotland apparently)
20. In which tin of chocolates would you find ‘The Green Triangle’? Quality Street
And the joint winners this month are Gina, Denver and Edwina. They all scored a creditable 15 points. No prizes – just the honour of the title of December Champs.
Look out for the January quiz in the New Year. We hope to be able to return to quizzing in person In The Ballroom in March 2022, depending on the coronavirus of course. Happy Christmas all!