Here is Helen Fellows’ twenty-question quiz for September. The theme is autumn. Email your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll declare a winner in a week’s time.
September 1st Quiz – Autumn
1. Which month is the first month of autumn?
2. What is autumn known as in North America?
3. The shedding of leaves in autumn occurs from which kind of trees?
4. Name the pigment which trees stop producing in autumn, causing leaves to lose their green colour?
5. In autumn do you turn your clocks forward or back?
6. What name is given to the full moon that occurs in September or October?
7. Name one of the three zodiac signs of autumn.
8. What is the name of the short-term heat wave that often occurs in autumn?
9. Conkers are the seeds of which tree?
10. Is a pumpkin a fruit or a vegetable?
11. What term is used to describe animals sleeping through the winter?
12. What British garden bird is known for its ‘Autumn Song’?
13. What is the name of the phenomenon of thousands of starlings flocking together, swooping and diving in synchronisation against the autumn sky?
14. Which king did Guy Fawkes try to blow up in the Houses of Parliament on 5th November 1605?
15. Which poet composed ‘To Autumn’, the 1819 poem which begins ‘Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness’?
16. Halloween is on October 31st. What is the following day known as?
17. What historic festival is celebrated in Munich, Germany in each autumn?
18. Which festival, normally celebrated between mid-October and mid-November by Hindus, Sikhs, and others is also known as the festival of light?
19. Which member of the British Royal family did Autumn Kelly marry in 2008?