For once the weather for a bank holiday was glorious so it was sunny and warm on Saturday 24th August when Patrick entertained guests on our Court House Tour.
He told of Warwick’s origins in prehistoric times, the founding of the town by Aethaelflad the Anglo-Saxon Lady of the Mercians, the arrival of the Normans and the building of the castle, and the powerful Earls who ran the town before the creation of a Corporation.
He explained how the rebuilding of Warwick after the Great Fire of 1694 brought Francis Smith, architect and builder, the chance to construct some fine new buildings, including the present Court House/Town Hall. Fully restored 5 years ago, the building is now a popular venue for private functions and community events organised by the volunteer group.
The next Court House Tour with Unlocking Warwick will be on Saturday 7th September from 11 am to 11.45 am. It’s free to attend and there’s no need to book. Just turn up at the Visitor Information Centre where the volunteer guides will be waiting.