Visitors to Warwick from Coventry, Lancashire and Nuneaton enjoyed a Court House Tour on Bank Holiday Saturday, 27th August as the building and the Pageant Garden were being prepared for the annual horticultural show.
Volunteer guide, Sue Rigby, told of how in the sixteenth century the Warwick Guilds were obliged to move out of their guildhall at the Westgate to a tavern on the present site, when Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester insisted on taking over their building for his ‘hospital’.
The present Court House was built in 1726 after The Great Fire of Warwick had consumed most of the centre of the town.
There will be another Court House Tour on Saturday 3rd September. There’s no need to book. Just turn up at the Visitor Information Centre for an 11am start. The tours last about 45 minutes, and they are free to attend.