On Saturday 16th June, Unlocking Warwick volunteers will be conducting a free Court House Tour between 11am and 11.45am. It’s a stroll round the inside and the outside of the restored Grade 1 listed Court House/Town Hall including a look at the fine Regency ballroom on the first floor.
Guides tell of the development of Warwick from Saxon times, the creation of a corporation in Henry VIII’s reign, the Great Fire of Warwick in 1694 which devastated the centre of the county town, and its rebuilding in Georgian style.
Gather at the Visitor Information Centre in Jury Street and the tour will start from the Pageant Gardens behind the Court House promptly at 11am. There’s no need to book. First come, first on the tour.
(Note that there have been no courts in the Court House since the 1970s when they moved to a new Law Centre in Leamington after 450 years of magistrates hearing cases in the building. The Court House now houses the Town Council chamber and offices, the Visitor Information Centre and the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum, as well as the Ballroom).