Easter Return for Court House Tours

From Easter Saturday, April 8th, Unlocking Warwick will be resuming our free Court House Tours for visitors and residents.

Between 10.30am and 11.15am, guests will stroll round the Grade-1 listed building on the corner of Jury Street and Castle Street – the Old Court House, Town Hall and Visitor Centre – while guides tell of its construction after the Great Fire of Warwick, and introduce visitors to the eleven-hundred-year history of the town.

Unlocking Warwick’s Sue Rigby says, “During the tours, the guides will tell stories of some of the big personalities who shaped Warwick after its founding in the tenth century by Aethelflaed, the Anglo-Saxon Lady of the Mercians. Why, six hundred years later, were the town’s burgesses ejected from their Guildhall at the Westgate by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leycester, and obliged to move to the present site? And how did the Great Fire of 1694 change the face of the county town? 

The Warwick and Leamington Courier has reported on the return of the tours.

After Easter, the Court House Tours will be on the following Saturdays throughout the summer: April 29th, May 27th, June 24th, July 29th, August 26th, and September 9th and 16th. 

There’s no need to book. Assemble in the Visitor Information Centre at 10.30am on the day. But numbers have to be limited, so it’s a case of first come, first on the tour. You can check that a tour is going ahead by calling the Visitor Centre on 01926 492212.”