To mark Heritage Open Days weekend, Unlocking Warwick will be conducting free Court House Tours on Saturday 21st September at 11am and 2pm.
The 45-minute tours around the Grade-1 listed Court House at the corner of Jury Street and Castle Street tell of the role of the buildings on this central site in the administration of Warwick since Tudor times, and the construction of the present building in 1725 after The Great Fire of Warwick had destroyed much of the town centre.
There are no courts in the building these days. It is the Town Hall with the Council Chamber, the Visitor Centre with a small display about Warwick’s past, a restored Regency ballroom and the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum in the basement.
Guides will also introduce visitors to the history of Warwick since its founding more than 1100 years ago by Alfred the Great’s daughter, Aethelflaed.
There’s no need to book. Just turn up at the Visitor Information Centre at 11am or 2pm.