The popular monthly social gathering “In the Ballroom” has been suspended until further notice because of the Covid-19 coronavirus and government advice about ‘social distancing’, particularly for the over-70s.
When it is deemed safe to resume, ‘In The Ballroom’ will be held on the second Wednesday of each month.
These afternoon gatherings are held from 2pm – 4pm in the Jury Street Court House ballroom, and feature a talk or an activity and usually a fun quiz; then tea, coffee and a selection of cakes served by Unlocking Warwick volunteers. There’s plenty of time to chat and make new friends. Entry in 2020 will be £2.50. There’s no need to book. Just drop in!
Here’s the line-up of activities that were planned for this year. Please regard all as cancelled until further notice.
- April 8th. Warwickshire Folk Tales. Colin King talks about local folklore and the origins of some of Warwickshire’s pub names. This session has been cancelled because of the coronavirus epidemic and the official advice on ‘social distancing’. The later sessions are under review.
- May 13th. Treasure Islands. Roger Butler give a talk on Scotland’s Treasure Islands and their wildlife.
- June 10th. Street Art and Graffiti. From an underground movement to mainstream art – Paula Fletcher’s illustrated talk traces the development of street art, from cave drawings to the explosion of colour today.
- July 8th. Guy of Warwick. Trevor Langley presents the story of the legendary knight and his seclusion at Guy’s Cliffe.
- August 12th. Antiques Roadshow with Steve Bruce. The popular speaker with anecdotes from antiques sales. Bring small items to be valued.
- September 9th. Games Afternoon. By popular demand – table-top games and quizzes.
- October 14th. Hill Close Gardens. The story of Warwick’s preserved Victorian gardens.
- November 11th. The Lord Leycester Hospital. Learn about one of the oldest and most visited buildings in Warwick.
- December 10th. (Note this is a Thursday). A Christmas Celebration. Carols and entertainment in the ballroom.
For any changes to the situation, keep your eye on the News and Events pages on this website, or check our ‘What’s On in Warwick’.
In the Ballroom is brought to you by Unlocking Warwick, the Court House volunteer group, on behalf of the Town Council. It is supported by the Big Lottery ‘Awards for All’ and The King Henry VIII Endowed Trust.