The popular monthly social gathering “In the Ballroom” returned in March 2022 after being suspended for nearly two years because of Covid-19 restrictions.
‘In The Ballroom’ will be held on the second Wednesday of each month for the rest of the year.
These afternoon gatherings are held from 2pm – 4pm in the Jury Street Court House ballroom, and feature a talk or an activity and usually a fun quiz; then tea, coffee and a selection of cakes served by Unlocking Warwick volunteers. There’s plenty of time to chat and make new friends. Entry in 2020 will be £3 to include the tea. (Cash on the door, please).
This year numbers will be limited, so guests must book places in advance by dropping in to the Visitor Information Centre, or calling them on 01926 492212. Or you can email email@example.com or George.Palmer@warwicktowncouncil.org.uk
Here’s the line-up of activities that are planned for this year.
- March 9th. ‘Wish You Were Here’ with Graham Sutherland. The local author and raconteur talks about how holidays have changed over the years.
- April 13th. ‘Park Life in the Spring’ with Rick Thompson. The nature writer describes the wildlife in St. Nicholas’ Park as Spring brings some fascinating arrivals.
- May 11th. ‘The Puckerings and the Priory’ with Trevor Langley. Who were the Puckerings? Why were they so important to Warwick? All will be revealed.
- June 8th. A ‘Jubilee Cream Tea’ to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
- July 13th. ‘Everlasting Flowers’ with Christine Ramsey. Tips on how to dry and arrange flowers from your gardens and hedgerows.
- August 10th. ‘Antiques Collecting’ with Steve Bruce. The popular speaker with hints on collecting and anecdotes from antiques sales. Bring small items to be valued.
- September 14th. Origins of Pub Names’ with Anthony Paulton-Smith. The history of pub names and the signs that go with them.
- October 12th. ‘Warwick Ghost Stories’ with Steve Garrison. Strange tales from behind some of Warwick’s doors.
- November 9th. ‘Scottish Treasure Islands’ with Roger Butler. A look at Scotland’s islands and the treasures they hold.
- December 14th. Christmas Celebration. Carols and entertainment in the ballroom.
For any changes to the situation, keep your eye on the News and Events pages on this website, or check our ‘What’s On in Warwick’.
We will also be holding Tea and Dance Lessons in the ballroom on the fourth Tuesday of each month from 2pm to 4pm. (Price and booking system as above).
‘In the Ballroom’ and the Tea and Dance lessons are brought to you by Unlocking Warwick, the Court House volunteer group, on behalf of the Town Council, supported by the Big Lottery ‘Awards for All’ and The King Henry VIII Endowed Trust.