The weather on the Saturday of the Spring Bank Holiday was rather unhelpful for Unlocking Warwick’s Court House Tour. But a young couple from Leamington ignored the occasional bouts of drizzle and chilly breeze to turn up for the free tour and were rewarded with a personal talk by Paula about the Court House/Town Hall and the history of Warwick.
They heard how the ‘Lady of the Mercians’ Aethelflaed, Alfred the Great’s daughter, had ordered the first fort to be built at Warwick in the year 914 in the long running battle for control of England between the Anglo-Saxons and the Danes. The fort was developed into a mighty castle by William the Conqueror after the 1066 Norman invasion.
Another significant landmark was the Great Fire of Warwick in 1694 which devastated much of the town. The present Court House was built thirty years later, and remains the centre of the town’s administration and a social centre, with its restored Regency ballroom hosting a range of events.
The next Court House Tour will be on Saturday June 2nd from 11am to 12.30pm. There’s no need to book. Just turn up at the Visitor Information Centre in Jury Street.