A group of residents living in West Street are researching the history of the buildings in this old street and they publish their findings in an occasional newsletter. Here’s an extract from their latest issue.
The photo of a bus being delayed by sheep in the road dates from 1935. It looks like the flocks of sheep are being taken to market. Warwick’s Market Place was for centuries an animal market, with the retail market around a cross at the central junction of High Street (High Pavement), Church Street, Jury Street and Castle Street. The animal market had a slaughterhouse on site. Was it still a ‘stock market’ in the nineteen-thirties?
Our thanks to Heather Cadbury and Hilary Holland for sharing this great photo with Unlocking Warwick. Here’s the item in their newsletter.