The theme of our November edition of the ‘Not in the Ballroom’ Quiz was Sport – by special request. But clearly it didn’t appeal too much to our regular quizzers. No one felt confident enough in their sporting knowledge to send in their answers. So the prize of, er, nothing, will roll over to next month.
For the record, here are the answers:
1. Which England footballer was famously never given a yellow card? Gary Lineker (There were others, but surely he’s the most well known.)
2. What is the only club never to have been relegated from the top English division since their arrival there in 1904? Arsenal
3. In which country was the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup held? France
4. Who did Uruguay beat in the first ever FIFA World Cup final? Argentina (1930)
5. Last month which team defeated Premier League champions Liverpool 7-2? Aston Villa
6. In which sport could someone be found at silly point? Cricket
7. Who has won more tennis Grand Slams, Roger Federer or Serena Williams? Serena Williams (with 23; Roger Federer 20)
8. Who was the last British man to win a Men’s Singles Tennis Grand Slam title before Andy Murray in 2012? Fred Perry (1936)
9. In tennis, what piece of fruit is found at the top of the men’s Wimbledon trophy? A Pineapple
10. Whose record of 91 Formula 1 Grand Prix wins was recently overtaken by Lewis Hamilton? Michael Schumacher
11. Which country did F1 legend Aryton Senna come from? Brazil
12. How many balls are there on the table at the start of a game of snooker, including the white? 22
13. Which snooker player is nicknamed ‘The Rocket’? Ronnie O’Sullivan
14. What is the highest check out score possible in a game of darts? 170 (Two treble 20s, bull)
15. Which horse is the only three-time winner of the Grand National? Red Rum
16. In which sport might you win a Claret Jug? Golf
17. In golf, what is the term for a three under par? Albatross
18. What colours are the five Olympic Rings? Red, blue, yellow, green and black.
19. Who was named BBC Sports Personality of the Millennium in 1999? Muhammad Ali
20. Which sports quiz show has been presented by Sue Barker since 2007? A Question of Sport
Well done if you got anywhere near 10 right! Next month’s quiz will appear here on December 1st. Quizmistress Helen will devise something with a Christmassy flavour. It should be a cracker. So don’t be a pudding; send in your answers and you could be a star.