In 1694, the ‘Great Fire of Warwick’ destroyed a large part of the town centre. The Corporation found its Court House surrounded by smoking rubble and ‘somewhat scorched’. Francis Smith was commissioned to design a new courthouse constructed in sandstone. It was opened in 1728 and immediately became the fashionable centre of Warwick life, with balls, assemblies, dinners and public meetings, and soon became used as the Town Hall. The history of the Court House is covered in more detail on this page.
The Grade 1 listed building was reopened in 2014 after a major restoration funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Town Council. Now it houses a new Visitor Information Centre, the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum of military artefacts, the Town Council Chamber and Offices, and a magnificent Regency Ballroom. Behind the building, the Pageant Gardens are a haven of calm in the centre of town. The garden can be used to stage outdoor events, and is a gathering place for guests at weddings conducted in the neighbouring Pageant House. Details of the refurbishment can be found on this page.
The beautiful Georgian Ballroom on the first floor of the Court House in Jury Street is available for functions such as weddings, anniversary dinners, or business lunches. It has an adjoining kitchen, is licensed for drinks and music with an integrated sound system, and has full disabled access. The Pageant Garden immediately behind the building provides a lovely setting in the heart of Warwick for outdoor events or wedding photos. More information, including prices, can be found on the Warwick Town Council website. To check availability contact Fiona Molloy: firstname.lastname@example.org