With our monthly socials at the Court House ‘In The Ballroom’ suspended, Helen Fellows is continuing to devise a quiz every month for us to try at home.
This month the theme is British History. There are no prizes. If you think you’ve got more than half of the twenty questions right (no cheating please!) email your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll post the answers and declare a winner at the end of the week on Saturday June 6th.
Here we go:
1. Aquae Sulis was the Roman name for which English city? 2. Boudicca was the queen of which Celtic tribe?
3. Where did the English army defeat the Vikings in 1066 before marching south to fight the Normans at the Battle of Hastings?
4. What in a Medieval English town was the ‘shambles’?
a) A place where the poorest people lived
b) A rubbish dump
c) A meat market
d) A graveyard
5. Which two houses clashed in the Wars of the Roses?
6. Who was Henry Vlll’s last wife?
7. Who was the mother of James I of England (VI of Scotland)?
8. Who was the ringleader of the Gunpowder Plot of 1605?
9. Which British coin has a fixed value of 21 shillings?
10. What was the name given to textile workers who opposed modernisation during the 19th century?
11. Ada Lovelace 1815-52 was a gifted mathematician and was an important figure in the early history of the computer. Who was her famous father?
12. How many British monarchs were Emperors/Empresses of India?
13. During which war did the Charge of the Light Brigade occur?
14. What was the name given to the members of the league of women who campaigned for the rights of women to vote?
15. What was the codename for the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk in May 1940?
16. What was the name of the main site for British Codebreakers during WW2?
17. Which Nobel Prize did Winston Churchill win?
18. After Henry VIII, who was the next member of British Royalty to get divorced?
19. The tense relationship that occurred between the UK, USA and the Soviet Union following WW2 was known as the what war?
20. Which British car manufacturer launched the mini in 1959?