On February 6th, Unlocking Warwick provided a special tour of Warwick’s main historic buildings for 50 children from All Saints CofE Junior School.
The eight and nine-year-olds were engaged in a project comparing buildings and lifestyles in their home town with those of their link school in Bo, Sierra Leone. So their teachers asked if the volunteers could take them round the town centre and explain a little of the town’s history.
They started at the Jury Street Court House, which has been Warwick’s administrative headquarters since the 16th century, and heard about the Great Fire of 1694 which destroyed over 150 houses in just a few hours.
They had a quick look at the Lord Leycester Hospital, recently used as a location for a TV drama about Shakespeare to be screened this spring, saw the Warwickshire bear in the Market Hall Museum, and visited the crypt and the Beauchamp Chapel in St. Mary’s.
Back at the Visitor Information Centre at the Court House they were each given leaflets, Warwick pencils and postcards, to help with their project. They had clearly enjoyed the visit very much, and politely thanked the volunteers before heading back to school.
Unlocking Warwick’s usual ‘Court House Tours’ last just 45 minutes, and use the history of the buildings on the Court House site to introduce visitors to the county town’s rich past. But the volunteers will always try to accommodate special tours for schools or local groups. Email email@example.com if you would like to organise a group visit to the Court House.