Unlocking Warwick’s Court House Tour on Saturday 16th June was conducted by Patrick, who told visitors of the origins of Warwick town, founded in 914 by Aethelflaeda, Lady of the Mercians, and the arrival of the Normans who developed the huge castle.
He explained how the Grade-1 listed Court House/Town Hall at the central crossroads was built in 1725 by the noted architect and mason, Francis Smith, after the Great Fire of Warwick had devastated the centre of town in 1694.
The building was reopened in 2014 after a major refurbishment, and now hosts many social events and private functions in its Regency ballroom as it has done over nearly three centuries. It contains the Town Council chamber and offices, Warwick’s Visitor Information centre, and the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum.
The 45-minute Court House Tours are free to attend. The next tour will be on Saturday July 7th at 11am. There’s no need to book. Just meet in the Visitor Centre or the Pageant Gardens behind the building where the tour starts.